Thursday, July 15, 2010

Rain, Lightning, Thunder...and TORNADOES?!

Okay, so I know I've said before that I hate storms. Today has seriously been the worst! It started as I was going to work at 2:30pm. It was dark and rainy. I started work at 3...well it started to get darker out..but by the looks of the radar before work it wouldn't be all that bad. We usually are pretty lucky...not today! Well I was at Copps (the grocery store) today for work. And I took a cart of for parcel (we load the bags into peoples cars at their request if you didnt know) and anyways they have a special entrance for that. Well the doors they have are just like swing doors. As I was standing there looking outside to see how dark it was, I noticed it was raining pretty hard and getting really windy. The door actually came back and hit me. The doors are pretty heavy, so on a normal day it doesn't fly open like that. And the parcel is under a canopy thing..and even standing under it I was getting pretty wet because of the wind. Well I load the car and walk back in. Seth's there talking to me then a manager and he looks outside. And then as I walk back in to where the registers are, this older lady who works there is standing by the customer entrance and she says she doesn't like how the sky is so green..and right after she said that the lights went out!! She screamed..I thought it was kinda funny..we have a generator..even tho the actual lights came back on like 45 secs later. Then the manager makes the announcement..theres a Tornado warning. I HATE tornadoes. This has only happened one other time..and that time wasn't this bad. Well that time we had hail..this time we didn't. But this time they made everyone go back to the bathrooms and the hallway by them. We stood there for like 20-30 mins. But they were keeping us updated and they said a tornado was spotted in Nekoosa...which is where my mom lives. Like a 10 min drive from Wisconsin Rapids where Copps is. I freaked out and started crying because Nekoosa is sooo small and my mom works nights so I wasn't sure if she would be sleeping. I feel foolish for crying..but I am uber close to my mom and I was worried. Luckily Seth had his cell cause mine was in our break room. So I called my mom..and she was so clueless about it. She didn't even know there was a tornado. But I still told her to go to the basement, haha, but she said it had pretty much passed. But anyways..it was quite a day. At least I got half an hour to stand around. lol. And I'm still not sure where the Tornado even was, cause every says something different. They had to close Wal Mart because it lost power..so people came to us. I wish we'd lost power so we could go home. Haha..but then even on my way home at 10..it was lightning again..the first one was from like 545-615..and its still raining pretty hard and lightning. Its 130 am. This is just insane for us. We never have this many storms back to back, and for like weeks. We've had so many storms this month. Luckily not all this bad..but it feels like we're in Oklahoma or Kansas.

I just had to tell you all that...it was just so crazy..I am not used to this kind of stuff! This is why I could never live in Oklahoma or Kansas or anywhere where this is normal. lol

2 comments:

  1. I slept through a tornado going over our house once. I have no idea *how*, but I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Aren't they supposed to sound like freight trains?! I'd probably be in the basement/bathroom crying so hard. They freak me out so bad!

    ReplyDelete